What Does ‘Toning’ Really Mean?
You’ve likely heard people say they really want to tone a specific muscle group or body part, but what exactly do they mean by this? For most of us, a tight stomach and ripped arms come to mind, but toning is way more than a great physique. Technically speaking, there is no such thing as toning. Tone refers to the ability of the muscles to reflexively contract. However, the word ‘tone’ has taken on a completely different meaning in the world of exercise and fitness. When talking about toning muscles in this capacity, it is typically referring to someone who has defined muscles and not a lot of fat.
Leaving semantics out of it, we will look at toning your body as the act of firming your muscles to create an athletic look. Sound good? Now that we have gotten that out of the way, let’s go over some of the top benefits of toning the body:
- Increases stamina – When you tone your muscles, you work to reduce body fat and shed pounds. This in turn results in improved overall health, increasing your stamina and energy levels.
- Decrease in prevalence of disease – By toning the muscles and improving your overall health, you can decrease the risk of serious diseases, such as diabetes and heart diseases.
- Improve your posture – When you perform toning exercises that target muscles around the abdomen and upper body, it can actually go a long way in improving your posture. Furthermore, toning and strengthening your muscles can reduce the risk of osteoporosis and relieve stress on the spinal cord.
- Elevate your mood – Participating in classes and exercises that tone your muscles can actually go a long way in improving your mental health and elevating your mood. When done in conjunction with cardio and strength exercises, toning can reduce stress levels and leave people with more confidence and self-esteem.
- Improve overall quality of life – This is true of any type of exercise, by exercises that focus on toning the muscles help people have a higher quality of life and enjoy more experiences overall. By working towards – and achieving – a healthier, toned body, you will have a better chance of carrying a positive outlook through life.
These are just a few examples of how engaging in toning exercises can benefit you, right now and in the long run. It is important to change up your exercise routine from time to time and try to be as well-rounded as possible.
We offer a wide range of group exercise classes at both our Arlington and Bedford locations that will help tone your body, and get you in shape in general. At our Arlington location, be sure and check the calendar for Zumba Toning, a high-energy class that will leave you feeling fresh, full of life, and toned. In addition to our Zumba Toning class, we also have Strength & Conditioning classes on the schedule this week, which is also a great option if you are interested in focusing on toning your muscles before the holiday. For more information on when these classes are offered, check out our calendar here.