Share this Post
Pilates focuses on whole muscle groups rather than individual muscles and is a wonderful workout for people of all ages and experience levels. Originally developed as a type of rehabilitation, the Pilates classes you will take at Fitness Nation focus on your core muscles, including your abs, lower back, hips, and buttocks. Pilates classes are challenging and invigorating, designed for overall conditioning, muscle strengthening, and to increase flexibility. Fitness Nation is a luxury Arlington gym and we are committed to promoting an environment that is both welcoming and energetic through our various Pilates classes.
Our certified instructors will lead you through a Pilates class that emphasizes exercises performed with precision and control. Whether you are new to Pilates or have been practicing for years, we encourage participants to customize each pose and class to your experience level and desired intensity. The noncompetitive nature of our Pilates classes allows people of all ages to improve their flexibility, posture, and stability in an environment that is encouraging and positive.
Benefits of Pilates
Pilates does not over-develop some parts of the body and neglect others; it is a full-body fitness routine that will focuses on the body as a whole. While our Pilates classes emphasize core strength, they also work to increase the range of motion for the joints and increase flexibility. All classes are adaptable to many different fitness levels and needs. This means that whether you are a senior, just getting into exercising, or a trained athlete, the foundations of all Pilates classes will apply to you. Additional benefits of Pilates include:
- Longer, leaner muscles
- Increased core strength and stability
- Works to prevent injury
- Enhances ease of movement
- No impact, easy on the joints
- Works well in conjunction with other methods of exercise
- Improves posture
- Heightens your body awareness
- Improves ability to perform in other sports
- Highly customizable, suits everyone from the general population to rehab patients and athletes
What to Expect, Wear, and Bring
- Wear comfortable workout clothes that will not restrict your movement
- No shoes necessary, exercises are performed barefoot or in socks
- Bring a water bottle
- You may need a mat, ball, or other equipment, depending on the type of class
- Check the schedule to see if these items are provided
- Please arrive to class a little early and introduce yourself to the instructor and inform them of any injuries of concerns you have
Pilates classes typically run 55 minutes to an hour and have a serious focus on building the core muscles. You should expect and intense ab workout as well as a series of exercises that will work the inner and outer thighs, as well as strengthen the back, hamstrings, and glutes. Many Pilates classes use fun props and other equipment, such as a foam roller, magic circle, or small ball. Pilates classes also include various stretching exercises, so be prepared to feel the workout throughout your entire body once class is over!
If you have any additional questions about Fitness Nation’s Pilates offerings or what to expect, please feel free to contact the gym today. Again, our Pilates classes are designed for people of all ages and experience levels and we would love to have you join our community!