Kickboxing is a type of workout that has withstood the test of time and various fitness trends. It is an incredibly high energy workout that provides people with the opportunity to work up a sweat, stay focused, and tone their body while building strength at the same time. For these reasons, it is no wonder that kickboxing is popular among men and women alike. Kickboxing is a wonderful full body workout that builds endurance, tones muscles, and gets the heart pumping. When performed regularly, kickboxing will help whip you into shape, improve your balance and coordination, and give you the self-confidence you need to live a happy and healthy life.
For those that aren’t familiar, kickboxing is typically a combination of boxing, martial arts, and aerobics. Kickboxing is fun, highly energetic, and will provide you with a focused workout that will help you reach your fitness goals. When done in a group setting, the level of camaraderie is unbeatable. You will be amazed at the level of encouragement and bond that you may feel with your fellow kickboxers, a feeling that is sure to keep you coming back for more week after week. Logistically speaking, the number of calories being burned will vary according to your weight, duration of the session, and intensity level.
With all that in mind, let’s look at 5 lesser known benefits of kickboxing:
- It will increase flexibility. Many people view kickboxing as mainly a cardio workout that tones and strengthens. However, it can also help improve flexibility and range of motion in your hips. Before you get to the good stuff, most instructors will begin with several stretches for the hips and shoulders, which when performed over time, will make you more flexible.
- Will improve your balance. Balance is key to any good kickboxing session, as you must be able to stand on one foot as you kick. For this reason, kickboxing is great at helping you build balance and stability in order to improve the intensity of your kicks over time.
- It can relieve stress and improve mental health. Getting stressed out is perfectly normal, especially during the holidays. By taking a kickboxing class here and there, you can release some of that built up stress through punches and kicks. In many cases the actions of the class are supported with strong exhales in order to increase intensity, which can lift your mood in a matter of seconds.
- It will tone your entire body. As anyone who has ever taken a kickboxing class can attest to, there really isn’t a single muscle that isn’t working during class. In addition to the punching and kicking, there are also other exercises mixed in, such as squats, pushups, burpees, and more.
- It can help increase your heart rate. Kickboxing is proven to increase the heart rate, which will in turn help burn fat and calories over time.
There are many fantastic benefits to kickboxing, as you can see. Be sure and check both our Arlington and Bedford class schedules to see when our next kickboxing class is. You can thank us later!