We recently discussed some fun and interesting facts about spinning classes and today wanted to build upon this and look at the top health benefits of indoor cycling. For many, cycling classes can be intimidating, especially if they are relatively new to the gym or working out in general. However, it is important to remind yourself what a great workout cycling is and that, no matter how nervous you feel, you will walk out of the class feeling strong, energized, and healthier. Indoor cycling – also referred to as spinning – is one of the best ways to burn some calories and relieve stress. Cycling classes utilize a stationary bike with various tension levels. The bike is used to track your progress, allowing you to see how well you are doing and work towards accomplishing your goals.
As you can imagine, there are numerous great health benefits of cycling classes. Not only is this a low-impact, low-risk form of exercise, but people of all different ages and fitness levels can enjoy it. When done on a regular basis, cycling can improve both your physical and mental health while helping to reduce numerous health problems at the same time. Let’s now take a look at some of the top health benefits of indoor cycling:
- Burn Calories – By attending just a 45-minute indoor cycling class you can burn around 500 calories. This is an impressive number of calories to burn in a short amount of time compared to other group exercise classes. Also keep in mind that the level you choose on the bike will directly affect how intense your workout is, and in turn how many calories you burn
- Helps Build Muscle Tone – Another great benefit of indoor cycling is that it is quite efficient at building muscle tone, specifically core muscles. Again, by either increasing or decreasing the tension of the bike you can change how much of a workout you are getting. In addition to the core, you will feel the workout in your glutes, thighs, and calves
- Low Impact Exercise – One of the reasons indoor cycling classes are so popular is because it is a low impact exercise, which means that it won’t put pressure on your knees or joints. For this reason, indoor cycling classes are recommended for people with arthritis and other joint pain
- Great Cardiovascular Workout – Indoor cycling classes are recommended for healthy adults between the ages of 18 and 65, as it is a great aerobic cardiovascular workout. Our Arlington indoor cycling classes are designed to steadily keep your heart rate in a safe but vigorous range for 45 to 60 minutes. When done over time, cardio workouts like indoor cycling can help lower your risk of coronary artery disease, blood pressure, LDL cholesterol, and an individual’s overall heart rate.
- Lower Stress Levels – Finally, indoor cycling classes also help lower stress levels in people of all ages. Indoor cycling classes leave people feeling energized, namely because it helps release mood-enhancing neurotransmitters called endorphins. Beyond simply creating feelings of euphoria, endorphins work to lower stress levels and help strengthen the body’s immune system.
If you are interested in checking out an indoor cycling class, contact either our Bedford or Arlington 24-hour gym. We are happy to answer any questions you may have about the class and look forward to seeing you at one of our two locations.